- Ourselves is a form of the word "we" and is used when you are referencing something that happened to you and one or more others.
An example of ourselves is a woman saying she and her husband asked themselves if they wanted to buy a house, specifically, "We asked ourselves."
ourselves definition by Webster's New World
- as an intensifier: we ourselves saw it
- as a reflexive: we hurt ourselves
- with the meaning “our real, true, or normal selves” [we are not ourselves when we are upset]: in this construction our functions as an adjective and selves as a noun, and they may be separated [our own sweet selves]
Origin: Late Middle English ure selves, for Midland ure selven, replacing us selven, literally , us selves
ourselves definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Those ones identical with us.a. Used reflexively as the direct or indirect object of a verb or the object of a preposition: We bought ourselves an espresso machine.b. Used for emphasis: We ourselves were certain of the facts.c. Used in an absolute construction: Feeling chilly ourselves, we moved the party indoors.
- Our normal or healthy condition or state: We're feeling ourselves again after our bout with the flu. See Usage Note at myself.