An example of ourselves is a woman saying she and her husband asked themselves if they wanted to buy a house, specifically, "We asked ourselves."
- Used reflexively as the direct or indirect object of a verb or the object of a preposition.We bought ourselves an espresso machine.
- Used for emphasis.We ourselves were certain of the facts.
- Used in an absolute construction.Feeling chilly ourselves, we moved the party indoors.
We're feeling ourselves again after our bout with the flu.
- As an intensifier.We ourselves saw it.
- As a reflexive.We hurt ourselves.
- With the meaning “our real, true, or normal selves” [we are not ourselves when we are upset].
We should keep this for ourselves.
We did it ourselves.