- Separate from the main course.
- Stir sage and the remaining unsalted butter into the sauce and serve it in a bowl on the side.
- Supplementary or in addition to one's usual job or income.
- You don't want to jeopardize your primary source of income or any savings you've socked away in your effort to boost your earnings on the side.
- Additional, surreptitious; often with a connotation of dishonesty or illegality.
- I shouted to make sure she knew that I wasn't just some ho on the side. If anyone was on the side, it was her.