- The definition of oblong is shaped like a rectangle or ellipse but having one longer end.
An example of oblong used as an adjective is the phrase an "oblong desk" which means a desk that has a leaf on one end.
- Oblong is defined as a shape, like a rectangle or an ellipse, with one longer end.
An example of an oblong is a leaf on one end of a table.
An oblong conference table.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- rectangular and longer in one direction than in the other, esp. longer horizontally
Origin: Middle English oblonge from Classical Latin oblongus, rather long from ob- (see ob-) plush longus, long
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Deviating from a square, circular, or spherical form by being elongated in one direction.
- Having the shape of or resembling a rectangle or an ellipse.
- Botany Having a somewhat elongated form with approximately parallel sides: an oblong leaf.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin oblongus : ob-, intensive pref. (sense uncertain); see ob- + longus, long; see del-1 in Indo-European roots.