- The definition of oblong is shaped like a rectangle or ellipse but having one longer end.
An example of oblong used as an adjective is the phrase an "oblong desk" which means a desk that has a leaf on one end.
- Oblong is defined as a shape, like a rectangle or an ellipse, with one longer end.
An example of an oblong is a leaf on one end of a table.
An oblong conference table.
- rectangular and longer in one direction than in the other, esp. longer horizontally
Origin of oblongMiddle English oblonge ; from Classical Latin oblongus, rather long ; from ob- (see ob-) + longus, long
- Deviating from a square, circular, or spherical form by being elongated in one direction.
- Having the shape of or resembling a rectangle or ellipse.
- Botany Having an elongated form with approximately parallel sides: an oblong leaf.
Origin of oblongMiddle English, from Latin oblongus : ob-, intensive pref. (sense uncertain); see ob– + longus, long; see del-1 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more oblong, superlative most oblong)