northwest[nôrt̸h′west′; naut. nôr′-]
northwest definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the direction, or the point on a mariner's compass, halfway between north and west; 45° west of due north
- a district or region in or toward this direction
- in, of, to, toward, or facing the northwest
- from the northwest: a northwest wind
in or toward the northwest
northwest definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Abbr. NW The direction or point on the mariner's compass halfway between due north and due west, or 45° west of due north.
- An area or region lying in the northwest.
- Northwesta. A historical region of the north-central United States west of the Mississippi River and north of the Missouri River.b. A region of the northwest United States, generally including Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.
- To, toward, of, facing, or in the northwest.
- Originating in or coming from the northwest: a northwest wind.
In, from, or toward the northwest.
- north·westˈern adjective
northwest - Phrases/Idioms
- Northwest Territory
- the northwestern part of the U.S., esp. Wash., Oreg., and Ida.
- the northwestern part of Canada