- the direction, or the point on a mariner's compass, halfway between north and west; 45° west of due north
- a district or region in or toward this direction
- in, of, to, toward, or facing the northwest
- from the northwest: a northwest wind
in or toward the northwest
- Northwest Territory
- the NW part of the U.S., esp. Wash., Oreg., and Ida.
- the NW part of Canada
- Abbr. NW The direction or point on the mariner's compass halfway between due north and due west, or 45° west of due north.
- An area or region lying in the northwest.
- Northwest a. A region of the northwest United States, generally including Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.b. Any of various historical regions of the United States, originally coextensive with the Northwest Territory but later often defined as including the lands between the upper Mississippi and the Missouri River.
- To, toward, of, facing, or in the northwest.
- Originating in or coming from the northwest: a northwest wind.
In, from, or toward the northwest.