(comparative more nordic, superlative most nordic)
- Of or relating to cross-country skiing (Compare alpine).
- (rare) Alternative spelling of Nordic.
(comparative more Nordic, superlative most Nordic)
- Of or relating to the Nordic countries.
- Of or relating to the light colouring and tall stature of Nordic peoples.
- (linguistics) Of or relating to the family of North Germanic languages.
- (skiing) Of or relating to cross-country skiing or ski jumping. (Compare alpine.)
Unknown, possibly from the French word nord or the Dutch noord, both of which are used to refer to the northward direction. Compare to Old English norÃ¾, the Proto-Germanic *nurÃ¾an, *nurÃ¾ran (“north"), and to the Proto-Indo-European *ner- (“lower, bottom; to sink, shrivel").