- Scandinavian; specif., medieval Scandinavian
- West Scandinavian (Norwegian, Icelandic, and Faeroese)
Origin of Norseprobably from Dutch Noorsch, a Norwegian, variant, variety of Noordsch from noord, north + -sch, -ish
- the Scandinavian group of languages
- the West Scandinavian group of languages
the people of Scandinavia; specif.,
- the medieval Scandinavians
- the West Scandinavians
- Of or relating to medieval Scandinavia or its peoples, languages, or cultures.
- Of or relating to Norway or its people, language, or culture.
- Of, relating to, or being the branch of the North Germanic languages that includes Norwegian, Icelandic, and Faroese.
- a. The people of Scandinavia; the Scandinavians.b. The people of Norway; the Norwegians.c. Speakers of Norwegian, Icelandic, and Faroese.
- a. See North Germanic.b. Any of the West Scandinavian languages, especially Norwegian.
Origin of NorseProbably Dutch Noorsch Scandinavian from Middle Dutch Noortsch from nort north ; see ner-1 in Indo-European roots.