matted definition by Webster's New World
- closely tangled together in a dense mass: matted hair
- covered with a dense growth
- covered with or enclosed in matting or mats
matted definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Covered with or made from mats.
- Tangled in a dense mass: tried to push through the matted undergrowth.
Variant of mat
- a flat, coarse fabric made of woven or plaited hemp, straw, rope, rushes, etc., often used as a floor covering
- a piece of this or of corrugated rubber, cocoa fiber, etc., used variously as a doormat, bathmat, or removable floor covering for a car
- a flat piece of cloth, woven straw, etc., put under a vase, dish, or the like, or used as an ornament, as on a table
- a pad, as of rubber or plastic, used to protect the surface of an oven, sink, etc.
- a thickly padded floor covering, esp. one used in a gymnasium for tumbling, wrestling, etc.
- anything densely interwoven or felted, or growing in a thick tangle: a mat of hair
- Naut. a thick web of rope yarn, used to protect rigging from wear
Origin: Middle English matte ; from Old English meatt ; from Late Latin matta (from source German matte) ; from Phoenician word akin to Classical Hebrew (language) mittāh, a cover
- to cover with or as with a mat or mats
- to interweave, felt, or tangle together into a thick mass