- The definition of a matriarch is a woman who is a head of a family, or is a powerful mother figure.
Rose Kennedy was an example of a matriarch.
matriarch definition by Webster's New World
- a mother who rules her family or tribe; specif., a woman who is head of a matriarchy
- a highly respected elderly woman
Origin: matri- plush -arch
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- matriarchal adjective
matriarch definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A woman who rules a family, clan, or tribe.
- A woman who dominates a group or an activity.
- A highly respected woman who is a mother.
- maˌtri·arˈchal , maˌtri·arˈchic adjective
- maˌtri·arˈchal·ism noun