- Masculinity is defined as maleness, or to the traditional qualities and characteristics associated with being a male.
Showing strength and dominance is an example of showing masculinity.
Two men exhibiting their masculinity.
(usually uncountable, plural masculinities)
From masculine + noun of state suffix -ity. From Latin noun masculinitas, from adjective masculinus, masculine, diminutive of masculus, + noun of state suffix -tas
Variant of masculine
- male; of men or boys
- having qualities regarded as characteristic of men and boys, as strength, vigor, boldness, etc.; manly; virile
- suitable to or characteristic of a man
- mannish: said of women
- Gram. designating, of, or belonging to the gender of words denoting or referring to males, as well as many other words to which no distinction of sex is attributed
- Music designating or of a cadence ending on an accented note or chord
- ending with a stressed syllable, as a line of verse
- designating or of rhyme in which the rhyming elements are stressed final syllables (Ex.: hill, fill, enjoy, destroy)
Origin of masculineMiddle English masculyn ; from Old French masculin ; from Classical Latin masculinus ; from masculus, male ; from mas, male
- the masculine gender
- a word or form in this gender