- designating or of the sex that produces ova and bears offspring: biological symbol, ♀
- of, characteristic of, or suitable to members of this sex; feminine
- consisting of women or girls
- designating or having a hollow part shaped to receive a corresponding inserted part (called male): said of pipe fittings, electric sockets, etc.
- having pistils, archegonia, or oogonia and no stamens or antheridia
- designating or of a reproductive structure or part containing large gametes (eggs) that can be fertilized by smaller, motile gametes (sperms)
- designating or of any structure or part that produces fruit after it is fertilized
ME, altered after male < femelle < OFr < L femella, dim. of femina, a woman < IE base *dhē-, to suck, suckle > L felare, to suck, filius, son, fetus, progeny, Gr thēlazein, to suckle, thele, nipple