- a sweet paste originally made from the root of the marsh mallow, and now made of sugar, starch, corn syrup, and gelatin
- a soft, spongy confection, in the form of small, rounded pieces coated with powdered sugar, made of this paste
- a. A light, spongy, very sweet confection made of corn syrup, gelatin, sugar, and often vanilla.b. A confection of sweetened paste, formerly made from the root of the marshmallow plant.
- often marsh mallow A perennial plant (Althaea officinalis) in the mallow family, native to Eurasia and naturalized in eastern North America, having pink flowers and a mucilaginous root used in herbal medicine and formerly in confections.
- A species of mallow, Althaea officinalis, that grows in marshy terrain. [from 9th c.]
- A type of confectionery consisting of sugar or corn syrup, beaten egg whites, gelatin that has been pre-softened in water, gum arabic and flavorings, whipped to a spongy consistency. [from 19th c.]
- (figuratively) Someone who is soft and benign.
- He acts like a total badass, but he's really just a marshmallow once you get to know him.