- Loll is defined as to lay around in a casual way, or to hang loosely.
- When you lay around casually slumped on the couch, this is an example of when you loll around.
- When a dog's tongue is hanging floppily out of its mouth, this is an example of when it lolls.
- to lean or lounge about in a relaxed or lazy manner
- to hang in a relaxed manner; droop: the dog's tongue lolled out
Origin of lollMiddle English lollen ; from MD, to mumble, doze, of echoic origin, originally
verblolled, loll·ing, lolls
- To move, stand, or recline in an indolent or relaxed manner.
- To hang or droop laxly: a pennant lolling from the mast.
Origin of lollMiddle English lollen, probably from Middle Dutch, to doze.
(third-person singular simple present lolls, present participle lolling, simple past and past participle lolled)
- To act lazily or indolently; to recline; to lean; to throw one's self down; to lie at ease.
- To hang extended from the mouth, like the tongue of an animal heated from exertion.
- To let the tongue hang from the mouth in this way.
- The ox stood lolling in the furrow.
Cognate with Icelandic lolla (“to act lazily”).