- of the tongue
- of language or languages
- Phonet. articulated with the tongue, as (l) and (t): not widely used as a technical term
Origin of lingualMiddle English from Medieval Latin lingualis from Classical Latin lingua: see language
- Of, relating to, or situated near the tongue or a tonguelike organ.
- Linguistics Pronounced with the tongue in conjunction with other organs of speech.
- Of languages; linguistic: lingual diversity.
(comparative more lingual, superlative most lingual)
- (phonetics) a sound articulated with the tongue
- speaking or using a number of languages