- of the tongue
- of language or languages
- Phonet. articulated with the tongue, as (l) and (t): not widely used as a technical term
Origin of lingualMiddle English ; from Medieval Latin lingualis ; from Classical Latin lingua: see language
Phonet. a lingual sound: not widely used as a technical term
- Of, relating to, or situated near the tongue or a tonguelike organ.
- Linguistics Pronounced with the tongue in conjunction with other organs of speech.
- Of languages; linguistic: lingual diversity.
A sound, such as (t), (l), and (n), that is pronounced with the tongue and other organs of speech.
(comparative more lingual, superlative most lingual)
- (phonetics) a sound articulated with the tongue
- speaking or using a number of languages