- The definition of laundry is a group of clothes or linens that are being washed, or a place where clothing and other fabrics are washed or cleaned.
- An example of laundry is the batch of dirty towels that you put into the washing machine.
- An example of a laundry is a store where customers use coin operated machines to wash and dry clothes.
A modern laundry in a home.
- Rare the act or process of laundering
- a room with facilities for laundering
- a commercial establishment for this
- a batch of clothes, linens, etc. that has been, or is about to be, laundered
- a place or process for laundering money that has been illegally or improperly obtained
Origin of laundryMiddle English lavenderie ; from Old French ; from lavandier: see launder
- Soiled or laundered clothes and linens; wash.
- a. A commercial establishment for laundering clothes or linens.b. A room or area, as in a house, for doing the wash.
Origin of laundryMiddle English lavendrye, laundry, from Old French lavanderie, from lavandier; see launder.
From Old French lavanderie. See launder.