- The definition of laundry is a group of clothes or linens that are being washed, or a place where clothing and other fabrics are washed or cleaned.
- An example of laundry is the batch of dirty towels that you put into the washing machine.
- An example of a laundry is a store where customers use coin operated machines to wash and dry clothes.
A modern laundry in a home.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- Rare the act or process of laundering
- a room with facilities for laundering
- a commercial establishment for this
- a batch of clothes, linens, etc. that has been, or is about to be, laundered
- a place or process for laundering money that has been illegally or improperly obtained
Origin: Middle English lavenderie from Old French from lavandier: see launder
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. laun·dries
- Soiled or laundered clothes and linens; wash.
- a. A commercial establishment for laundering clothes or linens.b. A room or an area, as in a house, for doing the wash.
Origin: Middle English lavendrye, laundry, from Old French lavanderie, from lavandier; see launder.