In 1630 the Dutch West India Company granted the island to Michael Pauw as a part of his patroonship of Pavonia, and it was bought at this time from the Indians for "some duffels, kettles, axes, hoes, wampum, drilling awls, jew's harps, and divers other small wares"; but before Pauw had established a settlement upon it he sold his title back to the company.
Then it is all ready to be manufactured into engines, stoves, kettles and many other things.
Kelli ladled out the contents of the kettles onto each plate.
Most kettles at present hold 30 tons of lead; some, however, have double that capacity.
The intervening kettles contain leads with silver contents ranging from above market to below cupelling lead.