- The definition of a kettle is a metal pot or other container used for boiling.
An example of a kettle is what you'd use to boil water for tea.
Syrup boiling in kettles over a fire.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a metal container for boiling or cooking things; pot
- a teakettle
- a kettledrum
- Geol.also kettle hole
- a depression in glacial drift remaining after the melting of an isolated mass of buried ice
- a kettle-shaped hole in rock, gravel, etc.
Origin: Middle English ketel from Old Norse ketill, akin to Old English cetel, German kessel, Gothic katils, early Germanic loanword from Classical Latin catillus, diminutive of catinus, container for food
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A metal pot, usually with a lid, for boiling or stewing.
- A teakettle.
- Music A kettledrum.
- Geology A depression left in a mass of glacial drift, formed by the melting of an isolated block of glacial ice.
- A pothole.
Origin: Middle English ketel, from Old Norse ketill and Old English cetel, both from Latin catīllus, diminutive of catīnus, large bowl.
kettle - Phrases/Idioms
kettle - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.