- The definition of a kettle is a metal pot or other container used for boiling.
An example of a kettle is what you'd use to boil water for tea.
Syrup boiling in kettles over a fire.
kettle definition by Webster's New World
- a metal container for boiling or cooking things; pot
- a teakettle
- a kettledrum
- Geol.also kettle hole
- a depression in glacial drift remaining after the melting of an isolated mass of buried ice
- a kettle-shaped hole in rock, gravel, etc.
Origin: Middle English ketel ; from Old Norse ketill, akin to Old English cetel, German kessel, Gothic katils, early Germanic loanword ; from Classical Latin catillus, diminutive of catinus, container for food
kettle definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A metal pot, usually with a lid, for boiling or stewing.
- A teakettle.
- Music A kettledrum.
- Geology A depression left in a mass of glacial drift, formed by the melting of an isolated block of glacial ice.
- A pothole.
Origin: Middle English ketel, from Old Norse ketill and Old English cetel, both from Latin catīllus, diminutive of catīnus, large bowl.
kettle - Phrases/Idioms
kettle - Science Definition