- Slang the control stick of an airplane
- Comput. a manual device connected as to a video game, with a control lever that can be tilted in various directions to move the cursor or part of the display
- The control stick of an aircraft.
- A manual control or cursor device, as one attached to a computer or video game.
Origin of joystickPerhaps from slang, penis.
(third-person singular simple present joysticks, present participle joysticking, simple past and past participle joysticked)
- (rare) To manoeuvre by means of a joystick.
joystick - Computer Definition
A pointing device used to move an object on screen in any direction. It employs a vertical rod mounted on a base with one or two buttons. Joysticks are used extensively in video arcade games, and they were the primary game controller on home computers during the 1980s and 90s. PCs came equipped with a port dedicated to the joystick; however, that game port is no longer used, and the joystick has given way to much more elaborate controllers with several buttons, triggers and dials. The term comes from the main control stick in a small airplane.