Variant of joke
- anything said or done to arouse laughter; specif.,
- a funny anecdote with a punch line
- an amusing trick played on someone
- the humorous element in a situation
- a thing done or said merely in fun
- a person or thing to be laughed at, not to be taken seriously, because absurd, ridiculous, etc.
Origin: L jocus, a joke, game from Indo-European base an unverified form jek-, to speak from source Old High German jehan
- to tell or play jokes
- to say or do something as a joke; jest
Origin: < jokethe or L jocari, to joke
- Now Rare to make fun of; make (a person) the object of jokes or teasing
- to bring to a specified condition by joking
- jokingly adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.