Origin of intuitfrom Classical Latin intuitus
- An example of intuit is to never have taken a pottery class, but instinctively knowing how to make lovely pottery.
- An example of intuit is to guess that your friend is upset because you can see that they’ve been crying.
transitive verbin·tu·it·ed, in·tu·it·ing, in·tu·its
Origin of intuitBack-formation from intuition
Usage Note: Intuit is a good example of a verb that was once considered objectionable but has since become so familiar as to be unremarkable. In our 1988 survey, only 34 percent of the Usage Panel accepted it in Dermot often intuits my feelings about things long before I am really aware of them myself. This weakness of acceptance has been attributed to the verb's status as a back-formation from intuition, since back-formations like incent and surveil are often viewed as trendy or jargony. As a verb, intuit has been in existence as long as other back-formations, such as diagnose (from diagnosis ), that have worked their way into the standard vocabulary. Although resistance to intuit lasted longer than that of many back-formation verbs, the word has shaken off its stigma. In our 2005 survey, 80 percent of the Panel accepted the sentence that had made so many Panelists uneasy 17 years before.
(third-person singular simple present intuits, present participle intuiting, simple past and past participle intuited)
- To know intuitively or by immediate perception.
- This product is a special serum from Beauty Society (formerly Intuit Beauty) designed to make eyelashes longer, thicker, fuller, and healthier.
- Turbo Tax, by Intuit, the makers of QuickBooks, is easy to use for novices but powerful enough to handle small business tax preparation.
- Members are able to network with other business owners and benefit from a wealth of resources put together by the experts at Intuit.
- Lastly, Intuit guarantees that it will pay for IRS penalties and interest should any related error occur while using their program.
- E-commerce: Intuit provides recommended Web site stores and credit card processing which integrates seamlessly with QuickBooks.