A basket of fresh herbs.
- The definition of an herb is a flavorful plant used to season food in cooking or a plant used as medicine.
- An example of an herb is basil.
- An example of an herb is mint, used to soothe an upset stomach.
- Herb is defined as slang for marijuana.
An example of herb is what you might put into a joint, or a marijuana cigarette.
- any seed plant whose stem withers away to the ground after each season's growth, as distinguished from a tree or shrub whose woody stem lives from year to year
- any plant used as a medicine, seasoning, or flavoring: mint, thyme, basil, and sage are herbs
- vegetative growth; grass
- Slang marijuana
Origin of herbMiddle English erbe, herbe ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin herba, grass, herbage, herb ; from Indo-European an unverified form gherdha ; from base an unverified form gher- from source grass
- A plant whose stem does not produce woody, persistent tissue and generally dies back at the end of each growing season.
- Any of various often aromatic plants used especially in medicine or as seasoning.
- Slang Marijuana.
Origin of herbMiddle English herbe, from Old French erbe, from Latin herba.
Middle English erbe, from Old French erbe (French herbe), from Latin herba. Initial h restored 15c. after Latin but remained mute until 19c. (still is for many).