physiologically unable to hear, totally or partially; deaf
- Having a diminished or defective sense of hearing, but not deaf; hard of hearing.
- Completely incapable of hearing; deaf.
nounused with a pl. verb
Persons who are deficient in hearing or are deaf. Used with the: The hearing-impaired are provided with special services at school.
(comparative more hearing-impaired, superlative most hearing-impaired)
- Having some degree of deafness; Hard of hearing.
- As a result of a childhood accident, my sister was hearing-impaired and had to wear a hearing aid.
- This is frequently perceived to be a politically correct term.