- having handicaps assigned to contestants
- having a physical or mental disability; disabled
those who are physically or mentally disabled
- Physically or mentally disabled: a pool equipped for handicapped swimmers.
- Intended for people who have a disability: a handicapped parking space.
noun(used with a pl. verb)
People who have a disability considered as a group. Often used with the.Usage Note: Although handicapped is widely used in both law and everyday speech to refer to people having physical or mental disabilities, those described by the word tend to prefer the expressions disabled or people with disabilities. Handicapped may imply a helplessness that is not suggested by the more forthright disabled. It is also felt that some stigma may attach to the word handicapped because of its origin in the phrase hand in cap, actually derived from a game of chance but sometimes mistakenly believed to involve the image of a beggar. See Usage Note at disabled.
- Simple past tense and past participle of handicap.
(comparative more handicapped, superlative most handicapped)
- (India) A disabled person.