- a sticky, colloidal carbohydrate found in certain trees and plants, which dries into an uncrystallized, brittle mass that dissolves or swells in water
- any similar plant secretion, as resin
- any plant gum processed for use in industry, art, etc.
- an adhesive, as on the back of a postage stamp
- any of various sticky or viscous substances or deposits
- gum tree
- the wood of a gum tree
- Now Rare
- pure rubber
- ☆ rubber overshoes
- ☆ chewing gum
- ☆ Dialectal a hollowed gum log used as a trough, etc.
ME gomme < OFr < LL gumma < L gummi, cummi < Gr kommi < Egypt qmyt
transitive verb gummed, gumming
to coat, unite, or stiffen with gum