Two types of adhesive tape.
- Adhesive is defined as something that is sticky.
An example of something adhesive is paste.
- The definition of adhesive is a substance that sticks to something.
An example of an adhesive is tape.
- sticking and not coming loose; clinging
- made so as to adhere
Origin of adhesiveFrench adhésif from Classical Latin adhaesus, past participle of adhaerere: see adhere
- an adhesive substance, as glue
- Philately an adhesive postage stamp
- Tending to adhere; sticky.
- Gummed so as to adhere.
- Tending to persist; difficult if not impossible to shake off: “He feels an adhesive dread, a sudden acquaintance with the … darker side of mankind” ( George F. Will )
A substance, such as paste or cement, that provides or promotes adhesion.
(comparative more adhesive, superlative most adhesive)
OriginSee also: adhésive