largest island of the country of the Solomon Islands: 2,060 sq mi (5,335 sq km)
A volcanic island of the western Pacific Ocean, the largest of the Solomon Islands. Visited by English navigators in 1788, the island became a British protectorate in 1893. It was occupied by the Japanese in World War II, leading to an invasion by US troops in August 1942. After fierce jungle fighting, the island was captured by the Allies in February 1943.
Named in 1568 by Álvaro de Mendaña, after his hometown of Guadalcanal, Spain. From Arabic وادي الخانات (wādi al-xānāt, “Valley of the Stalls”).