volcanic[väl kan′ik, vôl-; -kān′-]
- of, thrown from, caused by, or characteristic of a volcano
- extrusive (sense )
- having, or composed of, volcanoes
- suggestive of or bursting forth like a volcano; violently explosive
Origin: Fr volcanique < It volcanico
- volcanically adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of, resembling, or caused by a volcano or volcanoes: a volcanic peak; volcanic islands.
- Produced by or discharged from a volcano: volcanic ash.
- Characterized by the presence of volcanoes.
- Powerfully explosive: a volcanic temper.
- vol·canˈi·cal·ly adverb