Variant of fowl
- any bird: now only in combination: wildfowl
- any of various domestic birds used as food; specif.,
- the chicken
- the duck, goose, turkey, etc.
- a full-grown chicken, as distinguished from a springer, etc.
- the flesh of any of these birds used for food
Origin: Middle English foule, foghel ; from Old English fugol, akin to German vogel, bird ; from Germanic an unverified form fuglaz, altered by dissimulation ; from an unverified form fluglaz ; from an unverified form flug-, an unverified form fleug- ; from Indo-European an unverified form pleuk- from source fly