- Old Poet. a fountain or spring
- a source
Origin of fountMiddle English font ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin fons, fountain
- A fountain.
- One that initiates or dispenses; a source: Damascus—the fount of modern Arab nationalism.
Origin of fountMiddle English, from Old English and Old French font, both from Latin f&omacron;ns, font-.
Variant of font2.
- something from which water flows
- a device from which poultry may drink
- (figuratively) that from which something flows or proceeds
- He is a real fount of knowledge!
Shortening of fountain
- (typography, UK, dated) A typographic font.
From Middle French fonte, feminine past participle of verb fondre: to melt.