footstep definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a person's step
- the distance covered in a step
- the sound of a step; footfall
- a footprint
- a step in a stairway
footstep definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- a. A step with the foot.b. The sound of a foot stepping. Also called footfall.
- The distance covered by a step: a footstep away.
- See footprint.
- A step on which to go up or down.
footstep - Phrases/Idioms
follow in someone's footsteps
to follow someone's example, vocation, etc.; be or try to be like some predecessor
follow in (someone's) footsteps
To carry on the behavior, work, or tradition of.