- a person's step
- the distance covered in a step
- the sound of a step; footfall
- a footprint
- a step in a stairway
follow in someone's footsteps
to follow someone's example, vocation, etc.; be or try to be like some predecessor
- a. A step with the foot.b. The sound of a foot stepping. Also called footfall .
- The distance covered by a step: a footstep away.
- See footprint.
- A step on which to go up or down.
- The mark or impression left by a foot; a track.
- The child watched as his footsteps in the sand were washed away by the waves.
- By extension, the indications or waypoints of a course or direction taken.
- To walk the footsteps of greatness requires that you start at the bottom of a long stair.
- The sound made by walking, running etc.
- The footsteps of the students echoed in the empty hall.
- A step, as in a stair.
- The garden path had a small footstep down to the main walkway.
- The distance between one foot and the next when walking; a pace.
- Mere footsteps away from the victim lay the murder weapon.
- The act of taking a step.
- Take one more footstep towards me, and I'll make you sorry!
- step foot