excavation definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- an excavating or being excavated
- a hole or hollow made by excavating
- something unearthed by excavating
Origin: Classical Latin excavatio
excavation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The act or process of excavating.
- A hole formed by excavating.
excavation - Medical Definition
- A natural cavity, pouch, or recess.
- A cavity formed artificially or as the result of a pathological process.