- a phenomenon that occurs with and seems to result from another but has no reciprocal effect or subsequent influence
- Med. a secondary or additional occurrence in the course of a disease, usually unrelated to the disease
Origin of epiphenomenonepi- + phenomenon
- A secondary phenomenon that results from and accompanies another: “Exploitation of one social class or ethnic group by another [is] an epiphenomenon of real differences in power between social groups” ( Harper's )
- An additional condition or symptom in the course of a disease, not necessarily connected with the disease.
- (medicine) A symptom that develops during the course of a disease that is not connected to the disease.
- (philosophy, psychology) A mental state or process that is an incidental byproduct of physiological events in the brain or nervous system.
- Any state, process, or other activity that is the result of another.
epi- + phenomenon