epiphenomenon[-fə näm′ə nən, -nän′]
- a phenomenon that occurs with and seems to result from another but has no reciprocal effect or subsequent influence
- Med. a secondary or additional occurrence in the course of a disease, usually unrelated to the disease
Origin: epi- plush phenomenon
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. ep·i·phe·nom·e·na
- A secondary phenomenon that results from and accompanies another: “Exploitation of one social class or ethnic group by another [is] an epiphenomenon of real differences in power between social groups” (Harper's).
- Pathology An additional condition or symptom in the course of a disease, not necessarily connected with the disease.
- epˌi·phe·nomˈe·nal adjective
- epˌi·phe·nomˈe·nal·ly adverb
epiphenomenon - Medical Definition