- Emancipation is defined as being set free from something.
- When an era of censorship ends and ideas about political freedom can suddenly be shared, this is an example of emancipation.
- When the slaves were freed by Lincoln, this is an example of emancipation.
emancipation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or an instance of emancipating.
- The condition of being emancipated.
- e·manˌci·paˈtion·ist noun
emancipation - Business Definition
emancipation - Legal Definition
Variant of emancipate
- to set free (a slave, etc.); release from bondage, servitude, or serfdom
- to free from restraint or control, as of social convention
- Law to release (a child) from parental control and supervision
Origin: ; from Classical Latin emancipatus, past participle of emancipare ; from e-, out plush mancipare, to deliver up or make over as property ; from manceps, purchaser ; from manus, the hand (see manual) plush capere, to take (see have)