- The definition of an election is a choice, particularly a voting.
- An example of an election is a town's voting for the new mayor.
- An example of an election is selecting a new health care provider.
A man casts his vote during an election.
election definition by Webster's New World
- a choosing or choice
- a choosing or being chosen for office by vote
- a voting, as in a municipality, on some proposition, issue, etc.
- Theol. the selection by God of certain people for salvation and eternal life
Origin: Middle English eleccioun ; from Old French election ; from Classical Latin electio, a choice, in Ecclesiastical Late Latin the election of believers: see elect
election definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act or power of electing.b. The fact of being elected.
- The right or ability to make a choice. See Synonyms at choice.
- Predestined salvation, especially as conceived by Calvinists.
election - Legal Definition