- preceded by seven others in a series; 8th
- designating any of the eight equal parts of something
Origin of eighthMiddle English eightethe from Old English eahtotha from eahta: see eight and -th
- the one following the seventh
- any of the eight equal parts of something;
- Music octave
in the eighth place, rank, group, etc.
- The ordinal number matching the number eight in a series.
- One of eight equal parts.
Origin of eighthMiddle English eighthe from Old English eahtotha from eahta eight ; see oktō(u) in Indo-European roots.
- (eighth ones is used for the plural) The person or thing in the eighth position.
- One of eight equal parts of a whole.
- (slang) An "eighth" of an ounce equalling approximately 3.5 grams in marijuana or other drugs.