- Eight (8) is a number that comes after 7 and before 9.
The number (8) between 7 and 9 is an example of eight.
The number eight.
eight definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle English eighte ; from Old English eahta, akin to German acht ; from Indo-European base an unverified form oktō(u)- Classical Latin octo, Classical Greek oktō, Old Irish ocht
- the cardinal number between seven and nine; 8; VIII
- any group of eight people or things, as a crew of eight oarsmen
- something numbered eight or having eight units, as a playing card, throw of dice, etc.
- an engine with eight cylinders or an automobile with such an engine
- anything shaped like an 8, as a figure in skating
eight definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The cardinal number equal to 7 + 1.
- The eighth in a set or sequence.
- Something having eight parts, units, or members, especially:a. Sports An eight-oared racing shell.b. An eight-cylinder engine or motor vehicle.
Origin: Middle English eighte, from Old English eahta; see oktō(u) in Indo-European roots.
- eight adjective & pron.