- a black ball with the number eight on it
- a form of pool in which a player who inadvertently pockets the eight ball before pocketing all of his or her balls immediately loses the gamealso written 8-ball or eight-ball
behind the eight ball
- A black pool ball that bears the number eight.
- A game in billiards played with a cue ball and 15 object balls in which the winner must pocket the eight ball after pocketing the seven balls numbered either higher than or lower than the eight ball, with the requirement that the cue ball must first strike one of the seven balls allotted to a player for a shot to be legitimate. A player who pockets the eight ball before the other seven automatically loses.
(plural eight balls)
- (billiards, snooker, pool) Alternative form of eight-ball.
- A pocket billiards (pool) game played with sixteen balls (a cue ball and fifteen object balls) on a pool table with six pockets.
- The billards ball, almost always black, bearing the number eight.
- (slang) A portion of cocaine or methamphetamine weighing 1/8 of an ounce, or 3.5 grams.
(third-person singular simple present eight-balls, present participle eight-balling, simple past and past participle eight-balled)
- (pool) To pot all one's colour balls and then the black ball (eight-ball) without the opponent potting a single one.