- the supplying of documents or supporting references; use of documentary evidence
- the documents or references thus supplied
- the collecting, abstracting, and coding of printed or written information for future reference
- instructions, notes, etc. for using a piece of computer hardware or software
An example of documentation is a marriage certificate.
- a. The act or an instance of the supplying of documents or supporting references or records.b. The documents or references so supplied.
- The collation, synopsizing, and coding of printed material for future reference.
- Computers The organized collection of records that describe the structure, purpose, operation, maintenance, and data requirements for a computer program, operating system, or hardware device.
documentation - Computer Definition
The narrative and graphical description of a system. Following are the kinds of documentation required to describe an information system for both users and systems staff. See self-documenting code, technical writer and RTFM.
Operating Procedures1. Instructions for turning the system on and getting the programs initiated (loaded). 2. Instructions for obtaining source documents for data entry. 3. Instructions for entering data at the terminal, which includes a picture of each screen layout the user will encounter. 4. A description of error messages that can occur and the alternative methods for handling them. 5. A description of the defaults taken in the programs and the instructions for changing them. 6. Instructions for distributing the computer's output, which includes sample pages for each type of report.
System Documentation1. Data dictionary - Description of the files and databases. 2. System flow chart - Description of the data as it flows from source document to report. 3. Application program documentation - Description of the inputs, processing and outputs for each data entry, query, update and report program in the system.
Technical Documentation1. File structures and access methods 2. Program flow charts 3. Program source code listings 4. Machine procedures (JCL)
- In an extended fraud alert, it does require the lender to receive additional documentation and verification of your identity, such as requiring the lender to contact the consumer at a specific phone number to verify the credit application.
- If your pregnancy is high risk, your doctor or midwife should provide clear documentation of the risks associated with your pregnancy and any special precautions you should take, including maternity leave recommendations.
- Additionally, it's important to check the guarantee documentation that came with your recreational vehicle so that you can be certain that you are following the recommended maintenance procedures for your particular unit.
- Low Documentation Mortgage: Although this fixed rate mortgage does not require all the same income and employment verifications as a traditional mortgage loan, the interest rates and fees for this type of loan are usually much higher.
- Since there exists no documentation linking headaches to foods containing high levels of tannins (ever heard of a nut headache?), researchers have yet to prove a definitive connection between the substance and red wine headaches.