The richest 10 percent of the population is an example of a decile.
Origin of deciledec(a)- + -ile
- Any one of the numbers or values in a series dividing the distribution of the individuals in the series into ten groups of equal frequency.
- Any one of the ten groups.
Origin of deciledec(i)– + –ile2.
- (statistics) Any of the values in a series that divides the distribution of individuals in that series into ten groups of equal frequency.
- Although few people scored high marks, everyone did quite well—the lowest decile was over 50%.
- Any one of the ten subsets or groups so divided.
- Our school is in the top decile for exam results.
- (astrology) An aspect or position of two planets when they are distant from each other a tenth part of the zodiac.