Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- a road that crosses another road
- a road that connects two or more main roads
- the place where two or more roads intersect, often the site of a rural settlement
- any center of congregation, activity, etc. for a widespread area
- a time in which important changes occur or major decisions must be made
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A road that intersects another road.
- crossroads (used with a sing. or pl. verb)a. A place where two or more roads meet.b. A small, usually rural community situated at an intersection of two or more roads: asked for directions at a remote crossroads.c. A place that is centrally located.d. A crucial point. See Synonyms at crisis.