- across open country through woods and fields, etc.: cross-country skiing
- across a country: a cross-country flight
a sport or competition consisting of a cross-country footrace, from two to six miles (1.2-3.7 km), usually between teams of contestants
Abbr. XC or X-C
- Moving or directed across open country rather than following tracks, roads, or runs: a cross-country race.
- From one side of a country to the opposite side: a cross-country flight.
A cross-country sport, especially running, skiing, or driving.
(plural cross-countrys) (attributive form)
- Alternative form of cross country.