- any of a breed of hound similar to but smaller than the English foxhound, used in packs for hunting hares and rabbits
- a pack of such dogs and the hunters in a hunt
- a cross-country runner
Origin of harrier; from hare + -ier
- a person who harries
- any of a genus (Circus) of hawks that prey on small mammals, reptiles, etc., as the marsh hawk
- One that harries.
- Any of various slender, narrow-winged hawks of the genus Circus that are found worldwide and prey on small animals.
Origin of harrierSense 2, alteration (influenced by harry) of obsolete harrower, from harrow2.
- A dog of a breed developed in England to hunt hares and rabbits, similar in appearance to but smaller than the English foxhound.
- A cross-country runner.
Origin of harrierMiddle English hairer, eirer, possibly alteration (influenced by hair, hare, hare) of Old French errier, wanderer, from errer, to wander; see err.
harry + -er