- The definition of equestrian is something or someone involved in horses or horseback riding.
An example of something equestrian is a novel about horses; an equestrian novel.
- An equestrian is defined as a horseback rider.
An example of an equestrian is polo player.
A young equestrian with her horse.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- of horses, horsemen, horseback riding, or horsemanship
- depicting a person on horseback: an equestrian statue
- of the ancient Roman equites
- of or made up of knights
Origin: ; from Classical Latin equestris (; from eques, horseman ; from equus, horse: see hippo-) plush -an
- equestrianism noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of or relating to horseback riding or horseback riders.
- Depicted or represented on horseback: an equestrian statue of a famous monarch.
Origin: From Latin equester, equestr-, from eques, horseman, from equus, horse; see ekwo- in Indo-European roots.
- e·quesˈtri·an·ism, e·quesˈtri·an·ship noun