equestrian[ē kwes′trē ən, i-]
- The definition of equestrian is something or someone involved in horses or horseback riding.
An example of something equestrian is a novel about horses; an equestrian novel.
- An equestrian is defined as a horseback rider.
An example of an equestrian is polo player.
A young equestrian with her horse.
- of horses, horsemen, horseback riding, or horsemanship
- depicting a person on horseback: an equestrian statue
- of the ancient Roman equites
- of or made up of knights
Origin of equestrian; from Classical Latin equestris (; from eques, horseman ; from equus, horse: see hippo-) + -an
- Of or relating to horseback riding or horseback riders.
- Depicted or represented on horseback: an equestrian statue of a famous monarch.
Origin of equestrianFrom Latin equester, equestr-, from eques, horseman, from equus, horse; see ekwo- in Indo-European roots.
- e·ques′tri·an·ism, e·ques′tri·an·ship
(comparative more equestrian, superlative most equestrian)
- of horseback riding or horseback riders
- They were an equestrian people.
- After his death an equestrian statue was created.
- an equestrian person; a horserider