- The definition of a crevasse is a deep crack or split.
An example of a crevasse is a deep crack in a dike.
- Crevasse is defined as to make large splits or cracks.
An example of crevasse is to have a glacier crack because of a rapid increase in temperature.
- a deep crack or fissure, esp. in a glacier
- ⌂ a break in the levee of a river, dike, etc.
Origin of crevasseFrench ; from Old French crevace, crevice
- A deep fissure, as in a glacier; a chasm.
- A crack or breach in a dike or levee.
intr. & tr.v.cre·vassed, cre·vass·ing, cre·vass·es
Origin of crevasseFrench, from Old French crevace, crevice; see crevice.
(third-person singular simple present crevasses, present participle crevassing, simple past and past participle crevassed)
- (intransitive) To form crevasses.
From French crevasse.