- lack of continuity or logical sequence
- a gap or break
- Math. a value of the independent variable x of a mathematical function f(x) at which this function is not continuous
Origin of discontinuityMedieval Latin discontinuitas: see discontinue and -ity
- Lack of continuity, logical sequence, or cohesion.
- A break or gap.
- Geology A surface at which seismic wave velocities change.
- Mathematics a. A point at which a function is defined but is not continuous.b. A point at which a function is undefined.