- ⌂ a ranch worker who rides horseback much of the time on his job of herding and tending cattle
- ⌂ a performer in a rodeo or Wild West show
- ⌂ a conventionalized character in novels, motion pictures, etc., typically an adventurer of the Old West who rides horseback and carries pistols
- ⌂ Informal a man regarded variously as being bold, daring, independent, etc. or brash, reckless, out of control, etc.
- A hired man, especially in the western United States, who tends cattle and performs many of his duties on horseback. Also called cowman, cowpoke, cowpuncher; also called regionally buckaroo, vaquero, waddy2. See Note at buckaroo.
- An adventurous hero.
- Slang A reckless person, such as a driver, pilot, or manager, who ignores potential risks.
- A man who tends free-range cattle, especially in the American West.
- A man who identifies with cowboy culture, including wearing a cowboy hat and being a fan of country and western music.
- (informal) A person who engages in reckless behavior, especially for the purpose of showing off.
- (UK, informal) A dishonest and/or incompetent independent tradesman.
- (card games slang) A playing card of king rank.
(third-person singular simple present cowboys, present participle cowboying, simple past and past participle cowboyed)
- (intransitive) To work as a cowboy, herding cattle.