The United States congress.
- An example of a congress is an annual national meeting of a boy's association.
- An example of Congress is the group of people that United States citizens elect as their representatives every two years.
The definition of congress is a formal gathering of representatives, or the United States legislative body made up of the Senate and House of Representatives.
- a coming together; meeting
- sexual intercourse
- social interaction
- an association or society
- an assembly or conference; specif., a formal assembly of representatives, as from various nations or churches, to discuss problems
- any of various legislatures, esp. the national legislature of a republic
- the legislature of the U.S., consisting of the Senate and the House of Representatives
- a session of this legislature
- the body of Senators and Representatives during any of the two-year terms of Representatives
Origin of congressMiddle English congresse from Classical Latin congressus, a meeting, hostile encounter, past participle of congredi, to come together from com-, together + gradi, to walk from gradus, a step: see grade
- A formal assembly of representatives, as of various nations, to discuss problems.
- The national legislative body of a nation, especially a republic.
- Congress a. The national legislative body of the United States, consisting of the Senate and the House of Representatives.b. The two-year session of this legislature between elections of the House of Representatives.
- a. The act of coming together or meeting.b. A single meeting, as of a political party or other group.
- Sexual intercourse.
Origin of congressMiddle English congresse body of attendants from Latin congressus meeting from past participle of congredī to meet com- com- gradī to go ; see ghredh- in Indo-European roots.
- (archaic) A coming-together of two or more people; a meeting.
- A formal gathering or assembly; a conference held to discuss or decide on a specific question.
- (often capitalized: Congress) A legislative body of a state, originally the bicameral legislature of the United States of America.
- An association, especially one consisting of other associations or representatives of interest groups.
- The National Congress of American Indians
- Coitus; Sexual intercourse.
From Latin congressum, the past participle of congredi 'to go or come together', itself from con- + gradi 'to go or step'.
congress - Legal Definition
A formal assembly, conference, or meeting of delegates or representatives.
To meet at a congress.
The legislature of various countries.Congress
The national legislature of the United States consisting of two branches, the House of Representatives and the Senate, and created by the United States Constitution.