(kə myo̵̅o̅t′ə tiv, käm′yə tāt′iv)
- of commutation; involving exchange or replacement
- Math. of or pertaining to an operation in which the order of the elements does not affect the result, as, in addition, 3 + 2 = 2 + 3 and, in multiplication, 2 × 3 = 3 × 2
See commutative in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- Relating to, involving, or characterized by substitution, interchange, or exchange.
- Independent of order. Used of a logical or mathematical operation that combines objects or sets of objects two at a time. If a × b = b × a, the operation indicated by × is commutative.
- com·muˌta·tivˈi·ty (kə-myo͞oˌtə-tĭvˈĭ-tē) noun
Learn more about commutative