- an iced drink containing wine, whiskey, or rum, citrus fruit, sugar, etc.
- a deep-dish fruit pie, usually with a thick top crust of biscuit dough
Origin: < ?
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- a person whose work is mending shoes or making shoes to order
- Archaic a clumsy, bungling workman
Origin: ME cobelere < ?
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- One who mends or makes boots and shoes.
- Archaic One who is clumsy at work; a bungler.
Origin: Middle English cobeler.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A deep-dish fruit pie with a thick top crust.
- An iced drink made of wine or liqueur, sugar, and citrus fruit.
Origin: Origin unknown.
cobbler - Phrases/Idioms
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
see stick to one's last.