Cherry cobbler with whipped cream.
cobbler definition by Webster's New World
- an iced drink containing wine, whiskey, or rum, citrus fruit, sugar, etc.
- a deep-dish fruit pie, usually with a thick top crust of biscuit dough
Origin: ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a person whose work is mending shoes or making shoes to order
- Archaic a clumsy, bungling workman
Origin: Middle English cobelere ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
cobbler definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One who mends or makes boots and shoes.
- Archaic One who is clumsy at work; a bungler.
Origin: Middle English cobeler.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A deep-dish fruit pie with a thick top crust.
- An iced drink made of wine or liqueur, sugar, and citrus fruit.
Origin: Origin unknown.
cobbler - Phrases/Idioms
see stick to one's last.