- The definition of a snob is a person who looks down on certain people and things and who considers himself better or more refined.
A person who says he only drinks $1000 bottles of wine is an example of someone who would be described as a wine snob.
- Obsolete a person having no wealth or social rank; one of the common people
- a person who attaches great importance to wealth, social position, etc., having contempt for those whom he considers his inferiors, and admiring and seeking to associate with those whom he considers his superiors
- a person who feels and acts smugly superior about his particular tastes or interests: an intellectual snob
Origin: orig. dialect, dialectal “boy, cobbler's boy” from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- One who tends to patronize, rebuff, or ignore people regarded as social inferiors and imitate, admire, or seek association with people regarded as social superiors.
- One who affects an offensive air of self-satisfied superiority in matters of taste or intellect.
Origin: Earlier snob, cobbler, lower-class person, person who aspires to social prominence.
- snobˈby adjective