The definition of a snob is a person who looks down on certain people and things and who considers himself better or more refined.
A person who says he only drinks $1000 bottles of wine is an example of someone who would be described as a wine snob.
- Obs. a person having no wealth or social rank; one of the common people
- a person who attaches great importance to wealth, social position, etc., having or displaying contempt for his or her inferiors and admiration for superiors
- a person who feels and acts smugly superior about his or her particular tastes or interests: an intellectual snob
Origin of snoborigin, originally dialect, dialectal “boy, cobbler's boy” ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- One who despises, ignores, or is patronizing to those he or she considers inferior.
- One who is convinced of his or her superiority in matters of taste or intellect.
Origin of snobEarlier snob, cobbler, lower-class person, one who aspires to social prominence.