- The definition of a snob is a person who looks down on certain people and things and who considers himself better or more refined.
A person who says he only drinks $1000 bottles of wine is an example of someone who would be described as a wine snob.
- Obsolete a person having no wealth or social rank; one of the common people
- a person who attaches great importance to wealth, social position, etc., having contempt for those whom he considers his inferiors, and admiring and seeking to associate with those whom he considers his superiors
- a person who feels and acts smugly superior about his particular tastes or interests: an intellectual snob
Origin of snoborigin, originally dialect, dialectal “boy, cobbler's boy” ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- One who despises, ignores, or is patronizing to those he or she considers inferior.
- One who is convinced of his or her superiority in matters of taste or intellect.
Origin of snobEarlier snob, cobbler, lower-class person, one who aspires to social prominence.